Please download a copy of NFL Flag Rules here: PDF
Intentional Tackling of a Player- All defensive players must be going for the offensive players flags. In the referee's discretion if they deem a defensive player to have tackled an offensive player intentionally they will eject the offending player from the game and enforce a 15 yard penalty from the end of the play and an automatic first down. All ejections will be reviewed to determine if additional suspension is warranted. Second offenses can lead to season ending suspensions. Safety is our number 1 priority.
Offensive Player in the Clear- At no time should any defender try to shove, trip or otherwise impede an offensive player who is in the clear from attempting to score. In the referees' discretion, should a defender stop a player from scoring without making a legitimate attempt at grabbing for their flags, the referee may award the appropriate points for either a touchdown or extra point attempt as if the attempt had been successfully converted.
Center-Quarterback exchange- To initiate a play the center must make a full exchange to the quarterback of the football. The quarterback may hand the ball off to the center but only by wrapping the ball around to the centers front. If the quarterback exchanges the ball back through the center's legs it will be deemed an illegal procedure, 5 yard penalty and loss of down.
*New Ball Carrier Rule: 1 "Run” per player per series
Run is considered person that either carries ball across line of scrimmage or is tackled. Run is also half back option thrower or carrier.
Rule is suspended last 2 minutes of each half. Extra points are excluded.
*Interceptions 6/7 and 8/9 division all interceptions will be returnable. 2/3 and 4/5 division interception play is dead upon interception
· The home team, as indicated on the schedule, will call the opening coin toss and any other coin toss resulting from overtimes.
· Each game will consist of two 30-minute halves with a 10 minute halftime. Possession will change at the start of the second half and be given to the team that did not start with possession in the first half.
· The clock will only be stopped during the last two minutes of each half for out of bounds, incomplete passes, extra point attempts (although the clock will run during the extra point play) and change of possession.
· Games will start exactly at their scheduled times.
· A team must have a minimum of five players from their official roster by five minutes after the scheduled game time or they forfeit the game.
Starting Time of Game
· The starting time specified for each game will be strictly enforced.
· Each team should be ready and prepared to play at their schedules starting time.
· The referee will call each team once after the preceding game on the field has concluded.
· Failure to have a captain report for the coin toss by the scheduled time of the game will result in a penalty.
· All divisions will adhere to rules as specified by NFL Flag Football.
· Any rusher must be behind the 7-yard marker (10 yards for the 2/3 division) prior to the snap of the ball.
Plays in the No-Running Zone (Including 1-Point Extra Point Attempts)
Halfback options or fake hand-offs are not permitted and will result in a loss of down or a failed extra point.
Coaches On Field
One coach will be allowed on the field as follows:
· 2/3 division throughout season and playoffs and championship
· All other divisions must be on sidelines for the entire season (one coach will be permitted on the field for Week 1&2 for the 4/5 division.)
· The coach on the defensive side of the field must move to the sideline prior to the nap of the ball.
· Only one coach per team on the field at a time.
· Must stay clear of all plays and refrain from instructing or coaching while the play is in progress
· At referees discretion and after adequate warning a coach can be removed from the field if they violate the above rules
Time In Between Plays
· The 4/5, 6/7 and 8/9 division will adhere to the rule as specified by NFL Flag Football
· The 2/3 division will have 10 seconds added to the allotted time as specified by the NFL Flag Football rules
· The time between plays will be strictly enforced and penalties for delay of game will be called
Snapping The Ball
· All age groups and divisions are required to only snap the ball between the legs
Amount of Coaches
· Each team is allowed to have a maximum of two coaches on game day, unless prior Division Head approval
· Parents are welcomed and encouraged to assist with practice, organization, and teaching
· Each head coach is required to provide the league commissioners with the names of their assistant coaches or any parent that assists for insurance purposes (send e-mail or give in writing)
Overtime During Season and Playoffs
· During regular season there will be no overtimes and any game tied after regulation will be considered a tie in the standings
· During playoffs and championships ties at the end of regulation will adhere to the NFL Flag Football rules
· At the 2/3 division level a standard formation of one center, one quarterback, one running back, and a wide receiver on either side of the center is mandatory at the start of each play.
· All other divisions any formation is acceptable provided there is a center to snap the ball
· At the 2/3 division the running back is permitted to line up within a 5 yard area to either side of the football prior to the snap
· At the 2/3 division the wide receivers must be at least 7 yards away from the football prior to the snap
· At the 2/3 division level it will not be permitted to have a man in motion, and the other age divisions will adhere to the NFL Flag Football rule guiding men in motion
· IN ORDER TO PROMOTE FUN AND GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP COACHES ARE ASKED TO USE THEIR DISCRETION AND SENSE OF FAIR PLAY TO KEEP GAMES FROM GETTING LOPSIDED
· Any time that a team is winning by more than 18 points, they may not play their strongest player on offense (as selected by the opposing head coach). Any time that a team is winning by more than 24 points, they may not play their two strongest players on offense (again, as selected by the opposing head coach) If that team is playing with fewer than six players, then those players may not play quarterback and are not eligible to run the ball or catch a pass (he/she should not be included in "fake” hand-offs either.)
· It is asked of each coach to realize that the main objective of JYFL is to promote fun and learning of football and athletics. Although it is a competitive league with playoffs and an ultimate champion we implore you to use your better judgment of fair play, sportsmanship, and competition. It is for the kids- both good and improving- to enjoy and come away with a positive experience.
· Each player is required to play at least HALF THE GAME. As a guideline, each child should be given a chance to run the ball or catch a pass no less than twice during each game.
· Coaches should try to rotate kids to all positions and encourage participation of each football skill
· Coaches are encouraged to keep records of practice attendance and game day arrival time in order to justify any discretionary playing time decisions made
· The league will provide each team with flag belts, flags, and footballs. All of which must be returned at the end of the season (coaches will be held responsible for lost footballs or flag belts/flags)
· The league will provide each player with a reversible team jersey which is theirs to keep at the end of the season
· Players are responsible to provide cleats, shorts, athletic supporter, and mouth guard
· No player will be allowed to play without a mouth piece, athletic supporter, or PROTECTIVE EYE WEAR or GOGGLES
Playoff/ Tie Breaker
At the end of the season if two or more teams are tied with equal points a tie breaker system will be employed as follows:
· Head to head play, record against common opponents, average points allowed per game, and a flip of coin in this order.
· A flip of the coin will be employed if it is for positioning in the playoff rankings only (i.e.- 3rd and 4th place tied then a coin toss will determine 3rd place)
· If a flip of the coin will determine if a team makes the playoffs or is eliminated then as an option the coaches can play a tie breaker to determine who advances. The format will be similar to college football with each team getting possession from the midfield line and three downs (a "must pass” extra point attempt will follow any scored touchdown). The team with more points after each team has a possession is the winner. If there is still a tie after each team's possession, then additional rounds will be played until a winner is determined.
· All penalties are enforced as specified by the NFL Flag Football rules, except non-deliberate (in the referee's sole discretion) FLAG guarding which shall be enforced from the point of the infraction.
· Offsides on either the offense or the defense shall be a 5 yard penalty and a repeat down (and not an automatic first down or loss of down as outlined in the NFL rules)
· As specified in this document there are certain rules or penalties that have been changed or amend by the JYFL and they supersede and apply as outlined.
· The referees have total control of the field of game day
· Any and all judgment decisions made by the referees are FINAL
· Any rule interpretation will be handled by the referees and their decisions regarding rule interpretations is FINAL; coaches shall not seek assistance with rule interpretations during games with the league commissioners or the division head**
· The referees will be responsible for reporting the winners and losers of each game to the league
· Prior to game time, it is up to each individual coach to verify with the referee which team is home and away, both teams' team number, and the head coaches name of each team.
· Wins will count as two points in the standings, ties will count as one point in the standings, and loses will count as zero points in the standing
· For the purpose of standings, tie breakers, or any other league reason a team's total points scored in each game and/or cumulatively for the season DOES NOT MATTER
· Division standings will be calculated by the point system specified above and sent to the coaches periodically.
Coaches and Players Box
· Each field will have two coaches/players box on either side of midfield- one for each team
· All players and coaches must be in their respective box at all times and crossing over into the other teams box during the game is not permitted
· For divisions that allow coaches on the field during play, the other coaches and players must be in their respective box
· Violations of the above rule will be enforced at the discretion of the referee. After adequate warning the referee can assess a 15 yard penalty plus loss of down or automatic first down for the other team.
· Fair play and healthy competition are our guiding principles
· Any foul language, abuse of the referees, parents or other players, or unsportsmanlike actions will not be tolerated by anyone
· In addition to the penalties specified by the NFL flag Football rules, the league commissioners at their discretion can ban any player, coach, or parent from participation in the JYFL or from attending leagues games.
· Under no circumstances will non-coach parents be allowed on the players sideline during the game
· Parents are required to stand on the opposite sideline from the players (not behind either end zone or on the sideline with players) and behind the dotted line which is three yards off the sideline
After Each Game
· Each team is responsible for cleaning up the sideline and throwing trash in garbage cans after each game
· Coaches that hold team meetings with players or parents after games are encouraged to do so away from the field just played on. This will help us get the next game started on time and avoid any delays that may result in the later games running late and into darkness (especially as day light savings approaches)
Newspapers and Publications
· Any and all articles or pictures that parents, coaches, or players would like published need to be approved by one of the league commissioners before submission
· Standings will NOT be published under any circumstances.